We assist a wide variety of people experiencing problems with plants and pests. Our laboratory specializes in diagnosing many of the problems caused by arthropods (insects, mites, ticks, etc.), pathogens (fungi, oomycetes, bacteria, viruses), nematodes, and abiotic factors.
Samples may be submitted to the lab by mail or dropped off at our facility. We will analyze the sample for a nominal fee and provide a diagnosis or identification of the problem as well as recommendations for control.
WE CANNOT ACCEPT MEDICAL MARIJUANA SAMPLES DUE TO MSU COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL POLICY.
For more information, please see the FAQ sheet posted online.
Here are some of the samples we accept for diagnosis:
- Plants or plant parts for insect, pathogen and nematode analysis.
- Insects, mites, ticks, spiders and other arthropods for identification.
- Soil and tissue samples for nematode analysis.
- Weeds and plants for identification.
- Weeds for herbicide resistance screening.
Note: If a pest or pathogen of regulatory concern is detected in a sample we are obligated to notify the proper regulatory officials (ex. MDARD, USDA).
Services Not Offered:
- Soil and plant nutrient analysis.
- Mushroom identification.
- Identification of household mold.
- Pesticide residue / Mycotoxin testing.
- Examination of bites or skin irritations on humans and animals.
- Medical marijuana samples are not accepted due to MSU compliance with federal policy.